Coconut Biscuit (Poloo)
This is a traditional Ghanaian snack made from coconut dough. It originates from the Fante people. Poloo is pronounced as “powlow.”
● 1 matured coconut fruit aka kube see
● 11/2 – 2 cups/ 180g – 240g bread flour
● 1/4 cup/ 50g granulated sugar
● 1/4 teaspoon salt
● Pinch of nut meg
● Odourless oil for frying
1. Crack and open coconut fruit and remove the shells. Wash coconut fruit. Using a food processor or grater or blender, grate or pulse coconut into fine bits
2. Add in sugar, salt and nut meg and blend together. Add in flour, start with 180g, adding more as needed. Dough should be slightly tough and not sticky.
3. Lightly dust a surface with flour. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into 1/4 inch thickness. Cut dough into desired sizes.
4. Heat oil in deep fryer. When hot, fry poloo dough till it is golden brown.
Leave a Reply