Kelewele (Fried Spicy Plantain)
Kelewele are easy, quick and super tasty spicy fried plantain cubes. Kelewele is a popular and well-loved Ghanaian food.
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 5 ripe plantains, diced into cubes or chunks
- 1 small onion
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger, or more to taste
- 2 each of whole cloves, crushed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350°F (175°C). Place chunk plantains in a bowl
- Puree onion in a blender until smooth. Stir in ginger and cloves; pour mixture over the plantains. Mix in the cayenne pepper and salt. Stir to coat plantains
- Place plantains in the hot oil; fry until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
NB: You may splash peanuts into the kelewele for more taste.
Leave a Reply