chakalaka is a favourite South African vegetable relish that is served with just about anything from meat, bread, mashed potatoes, pap and with stews
- Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Onions, chopped – 2
- Bell peppers – 2
- Hot peppers, minced – 2 or 3
- Garlic, minced – 2 or 3 cloves
- Curry powder – 2 teaspoons
- Tomatoes, chopped – 3
- Baked beans in tomato sauce – 1 (15 ounce) can
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium flame. Add the onions, bell peppers, hot peppers, garlic and curry powder. Saute, stirring frequently, until the onions and peppers are cooked down and wilted, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the baked beans, salt and pepper to heat through. Serve hot or cold.